Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Ruby on Rails Server options


The whole issue of setting up a development server for my ruby on rails application confuses me. There is webrick, mongrel, passenger, apache, nginx and many more I am sure, and i dont really understand the different roles they play.



I started off using webrick, and now I use mongrel for development. Are these servers stand-alone, or do they sit in front of Apache?



I have read about passenger, the site says "makes deployment of Ruby web applications a breeze" I don't really understand what it is, does it replace mongrel? is it like Capistrano, which also deploys web applications.



What is the best development server setup, bearing in mind I would like to test SSL, and believe this is not supported by mongrel.



Thanks


Source: Tips4all

No comments:

Post a Comment