Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Pre-installed Linux for Web Developers?


Does anybody know an ISO image of a up-to-date Linux distribution aimed at web developers with one, some or all of the following features:





  • LAMP stack readily set up (Readily installed Apache 2, virtual sites directory structure (hosting), PHP installed, mySQL installed)





  • Ruby/RoR set up for a beginner to start with





  • Subversion set up for multiple repositories





  • Firewall configured for functioning as a web server (Port 80 open, not much else)





  • Python and Trac installed and integrated with Apache (Multi-environment capable)





Background:



I have a powerful new workstation and would like to set up a number of virtual machines for testing, development and version control, preferably on Linux. The machines will not be exposed to the public.



I would like to save as much installation and set up work as possible - setting up everything from the above list would cost me weeks if I'd do it alone.




Bounty



I have had to put this on the shelf for the time being due to other, more pressing projects. The suggestions made are already a brilliant list; I'm putting a bounty on the question to try and gather as much input as possible, so this can be the reference question on the issue for future generations.



I will be awarding the bounty either based on popular vote or on a whim, from what looks the best solution to me.



Source: Tips4all

No comments:

Post a Comment